Sonntag, 18. September 2011

AMD 1- Grimm's Fairytales

I'm taking History of Witchcraft for a humanities credit and we have to read the original fairytales, which are pretty gross and definitely not like Disney's. I read some of Grimm Brothers' stories in English for the history class and then in German on a website that has the original ones they wrote, since they were German. I read Dornröschen (Brier Rose/Sleeping Beauty), Die Boten des Todes (Death's Messengers), and Das Mädchen ohne Hände (The Girl Without Hands). The stories were weird and not something that seems like it would be appropriate for kids. In Das Madchen ohne Hande, the Madchen's dad cut off her hands for the devil. I didn't understand much in the German versions, so it was good that I read the English ones first. It helped me understand more of what was going on. "Teufel" was in the story a lot, so I looked it up. It means Devil. Jüngling is in Death's Messenger's a lot. It means youth, which makes sense since jung is young.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.