Dienstag, 13. September 2011

Kapitel 1 Kultur - Emily Seidel

Many facts in this article were rather surprising to me. I was not aware that German-American was the category most associated with by Americans and yet, is one of the least prominent in our culture. Being part German-American, it made me think how German culture affected my life (the most I could come up with was various foods cooked on holidays).
A second fact that I learned was that states actively recruited immigrants from Germany. It's interesting to think of just how contrasting our culture was then to how it is now in regards to immigrants. Now that I think about it, it seems obvious that Wisconsin is full of German culture, but unless I read the article, I probably would have never put it together.
It is also interesting to note the cultural effects that Native American culture had on German culture. One generally doesn't hear about a reverse relationship such as this.
Overall, I found this to be a very interesting article about the effects (big and small) German-Americans have had on the American culture.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.