After reading, "How German is American" I was surprised on how much of American culture is influenced by German culture, especially in the area that we live. My last name (Koch) is German and most of my family is of German descent. My Grandparents are from Madison, Wisconsin which is a city that was founded by mostly German families and to this day is still very big on German culture there. My Great-grandparents moved there from Germany so my Grandpa was raised speaking some German in his family.
I was surprised that so many American people claimed to be of German descent. I didn't know that it was the number one most prominent culture that Americans claimed to be. I also learned about how the Amish culture comes from Germany and is now a big part of many towns in Pennsylvania.
All in all, after reading this article I concluded that American culture is very German and America wouldn't be the same if it wern't for German culture. I too, wouldn't be the same since my family is from Germany! I learned a lot and hope to learn more later in this semester of German 101.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.