Mittwoch, 14. September 2011

Kapitel 1 Kultur- Matt

Grüß Gott! Ich heiße Matt und in Deutsch sagt man Matthäus.


To start off my first blog I want to say that I am surprised the German language is spread through 24% of the European Union and is continuing to increase dramatically world-wide. The interest of the German culture is also growing with language as USA continues to celebrate events and holidays such as Oktoberfest and Groundhog day. Personally I hold great childhood memories of Germany as I spent my 3rd grade summer there. Particularly, I lived in Bad Homburg, Germany (right above Frankfurt, Germany) and it seemed magical. I remember mostly the peaceful open fields which I hopped through, only walking for transportation (traveling on subway to go far), going to Kaufhaus market (so cool!!), going on the 'Autobahn,' the German automobiles, and so much more! It makes me want to go back just thinking about all the great things and culture of Germany.

From the article "How German is American," I was moved by history of the Freethinkers (composed of partially some of Turners and some of Forty-Eighters) and it was just a reminder of how great America is as a country. The Freethinkers were an avid political group promoting causes for the common good, such as reform in working conditions and the education system. It's amazing how this group used the weaknesses of German's political structure to bolster America, which contributed to a great success to the beginning of American history. Once again, it goes to show that to achieve success, one must first fail.

Transitioning to the religious section of the article, I would have loved to go to Zum Kripplein Christi to hear a sermon (until they stopped in the 1990s). Still it would definitely be a place to visit and attend to if I had the chance!

As I was reading about the Pennsylvania Dutch, I was shocked!! This is why:
In the summer I went to my brother's orientation for the University he is going to in Pennsylvania. On my way back at a pit-stop, I entered in this fast-food house and there they were!!! The Pennsylvania Dutch (I didn't know it at the time)!! They were obviously different in appearance than the Canadian Amish- all the males had the same haircut and the women wore skirts and very stylish pinytails. I heard them speak German too!!! This brings me to another story of when I visited Germantown, Pennsylvania, which was kind of disappointing... not that many German people or interesting history there (at least non that I could find).

Lastly, to end this blog, I just wanted to say how hungry that article has made me... it's 1am and I'm thinking about bologna and bratwursts :P

Abend!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.