Hallo,
For my bit, I spent an hour on facebook.
I found it very interesting how some words in english that were translated into german were given different meanings when translated back into english. For example, the wall in facebook is translated as "pinnwand." However, when pinnwand is translated back into english, it is given as cork board.
I think this shows the main differences in the two languages, German is a language that focuses much more on exactness in terms of its pronouns, while English has become a language which focuses much more on uses of slang and abbreviation. Another example in this case is how to comment on something, the english terminology just says comment, while the german terminology says "schreibe einen kommentar", which is translated as write a comment, a much more formal but exact way of saying comment.
I feel that this is a great way of learning the language. Talking to friends in Germany, I have always been very impressed by their ability to speak english very well. Their responce has always been that they are able to practice it frequently. This is a very easy way of practicing your german without putting yourself in a situation that you do not know any of the words, or atleast that you can not figure out the meaning of the words.
Auf Wiedersehen!
Nitai Leve
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.