I have always been interested in translation and how it is often impossible to neatly translate something that is artistic. Rhymes pose a huge problem because most of the time translated songs or poems won't rhyme in another language. So I looked up youtube videos of Disney songs (which I know the words to, having grown up listening to the songs in English) to see how the songs were translated. Below are the ones I watched and my reactions.
-Ariel’s “Part of Your World.” The first comment was: "Ich bin 20 Jahre alt und LIEBE die alten Disne-Filme immer noch :)" I was able to understand this! I recognized in the song when Ariel said “Wie heißt…?” when she was asking what things were called. The German title for this song is “ein Mensch zu sein.”
-I guess they redid the translation in 1998 and the new version of the song is “In deiner Welt” which seems like a closer translation. The rest of the words seem mostly the same. This time I caught Ariel talking about her “fragen” and getting “antworten.”
-I watched “Küss sie doch” (Kiss the Girl). I notice that Sebastian refers to Eric as “Sie”
-“Farbenspiel des Winds” is from Pocahontas. This video had the lyrics in German at the bottom which was really helpful, I was able to catch a lot more.
-“Was das nächste Ufer bringt” is also from Pocahontas. It was so fast, but still pretty. I caught “mein Traum.”
-“Die Schöne und das Biest”- I see that this translated easily. It’s interesting that “Biest” is neuter- “das”- which emphasizes how inhuman the beast was meant to seem.
-“Ich will keinen Mann” from Hercules, in English the song is “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” but here it is “I Don’t Want a Man.” It’s “keinen” instead of “kein” because “Mann” is in the accusative.
-“Es war einmal im Dezember” is a really pretty song from Anastasia. This title is a pretty smooth translation from “Once Upon a December.” This one also had the lyrics, which made it easier to follow along.
-“Wer ich wirklich bin” is from Mulan. In addition to watching the videos it’s interesting to skim through the comments, which are all in German too.
-“Flieg mit mir davon” is from Thumbelina, which is “Däumeline” in German. I caught a couple phrases in German that I know are what the characters say in English- “wir dansen” and “ich liebe sie.”
This was very interesting, I want to watch a movie that I know very well in German next!
Also, all of the songs I mention are available on youtube, I just couldn't attach them all!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.